Friday, May 29, 2009

My three gifts!!!

"To be a mother is to move outside oneself, to give of oneself in a way that is unheralded in the human experience." ~ Louis Genevie PhD

I have been so blessed by my three little pumpkins. They are truly gifts to me. I am honored, and at times overwhelmed by the task of, "training them in the way they should go, so when they are old they will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6.
However I have been learning lately that God is in control, not I! :) (what a relief) That it's my responsibility to pray for them, teach them, show them the ways of the Lord, and tell of the wonderful things he has done. (Deuteronomy 4:9-10) But ultimately it is up to them to choose "the way they will go."
There are great moments though, each day as I watch them grow! Showing love to each other, thinking of others, being kind, and thoughtful. Even hearing them sing about Jesus, reciting their memory verses, or sharing a Bible story with each other encourages my heart! That they are learning and understanding the goodness of God.
Nevertheless, there are times I ask myself if I'm the right one for this particular job in mommy hood? I found an answer!! Amen!
I found my answer in Genesis 18:19 "For I have chosen him(her), so that he(she) will direct his(her) children and his(her) household after him(her) to keep the way of the Lord..." We are each chosen "hand picked" parents for our little ones. I am the mommy God picked for my girls. Wow, what a great, wonderful, intense, responsibility it is! One I have failed at many times. Still, by God's mercy and grace we keep moving along, relying on him. Asking God for wisdom, praying for direction, and seeking His kingdom.
May our prayers and the prayers of others envelop our little ones as they learn and grow and us as parents as we learn and grow...

Exert from one of Keona's bedtime prayers: "God, thank you for Kaylee and Hollie, Gigi and Frances. (her fav princesses) Thank you for costumes, tiaras, highchairs(?not sure about that one she must have added it in for Hollie!) thank you for dresses and tights, dance suits, and my show (her dance recital) in Jesus name amen!"
I love it! It's so real and all about her special little world.

"keep your loved ones near you tell them in their ears and to their faces how much you need them and love them. Love them and treat them well; take your time to tell them "i am sorry" "forgive me," "please", "thank you" and all those loving words you know!" ~Gabriel Garcia Marquez



2 comments:

  1. awww
    love that prayer. so special. your girls will love to read back on these times when they are older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOOO true, Ashlee! Sometimes I start stressing about the responsibility of it all, but GOD is in control! Thanks for the encouragement:) You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete